Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday March 21 - A night at the Bakery!!

After a couple of quiet days blobbing out in Bryan, on Thursday morning I was collected by Lisa who had invited me to stay with them until Sunday. She had also asked me if I would like to go to the bakery with her overnight and I thought it would be another good adventure!!

But before that event and after she collected me from the motel she took me on a tour of Archbold. It is only a small town but very interesting for the number of factories that are located there. One business in particular has many buildings scattered throughout the industrial area of the town. The name of the business is Sauder after the man who started it and they manufacture church as well as kit set furniture. 

There is also a Sauder Farm and Craft Village and a Sauder Heritage Inn. I actually went over to the Inn with the manager of the bakery when he went to deliver some goodies for them to sell. It has to be one of the most beautiful inns I have ever seen, so well appointed and with an indoor heated pool. It has a very unique feature, a huge tree inside. The tree is a fake, although very realistic!!

Anyway, back to the tour, Lisa drove us round some of the very wealthiest of homes and boy they are very lovely and many of them very large! We ended up having a coffee at the local cafe, a real character place! 


One thing that struck me was the number of fields that are under water at the moment and it will likely get worse before it gets better!!

So then we got to Lisa's lovely house in country, she showed me the photos of the house when they bought it and her husband with his brother have sure done a great job on it. I also met her two dogs, Enzo and Bruno; her two cats, Guido (was FFRC's Louis) and Nico; and the two grandcats, Mia and Milo.

It did not take too long for me to become acquainted with them all although Bruno was a bit unsure at first. I needed to try and get some sleep so out my head down about 8 pm, I did snooze a bit in between visits from Guido on the bed and others on the floor!! I went out of the bedroom just after midnight and poor Bruno was asleep, he woke and had obviously forgotten about me so barked his head off!!!

It was a beautiful evening as we set off, the stars were shining brightly and the moon was out. 

The bakery was so cool, I helped roll the dough for the rolls and they have a special machine that turns out 36 rolls from 3 pounds of dough. 

I helped with all sorts of bits and pieces, saw the holes being punched into the doughnut dough and also saw the filling being put into the doughnuts, it was all very interesting. 

The way the group worked together and the fun we all had was awesome. Brian gave me a two crust blueberry pie and Lisa had a blueberry crumb pie so plenty for all!!

Lisa brought me home about 6 am as the work was done and she had to go back and finish the actual baking! I started the blog but did not finish and after a bit of breakfast we set off for a mystery event that Lisa had organised for me. 

This turned out to be a private tour of the Sauder Village as it was actually closed so I was very appreciative of Chris who was our guide and Lisa who organised it. 

Significant old buildings from around the area have been collected together, for example a General store, a Doctor's surgery, a Barber's shop with a current licence and a Schoolroom among so many others. 

They all included their original fittings and furniture, it is such a wonderful collection of historic buildings. 

We ended the tour in the museum, this houses all types of old items, from farm vehicles to baths, from musical instruments to cars, from an old time Fire Engine to a Penny Farthing bike and so on. I took many, many photos!!


We finally got home and after a sandwich for lunch and a shower I hit the sack and slept for about 3 and a half hours. When I woke up, Lisa's husband was home and her daughter, Deena, and boyfriend had just arrived.

We went out for dinner at a hall where the Knights of Columbus out on a fish fry on Fridays to raise money for a variety of charities. It was a great meal with plenty of fish and seconds for nothing if you need/want it!!! Home to blueberry pie and, guess what, a Woodchuck cider. Deena likes cide too so bought some!!! Nice one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment