Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tuesday Take Two

We took off on time and I managed to get a front row seat in Premium Economy so this meant extra leg space which was awesome. I sat next to an Earthquake scientist who was out where I used to live ­­in 1979 when a huge storm hit and took out an access bridge. He knew exactly where I lived, such a small world! He is on his way to Salt Lake City.

One of the films on offer was “The Life of Pi”, what an awesome film! I have never seen so many Meerkats in one place as on the floating island. Of course, I loved Richard Parker!! I had heard it was a good movie but that does not do it justice, it is magnificent. I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes!

Then I watched “Skyfall” for a complete change of pace. Dame Judy Dench is certainly looking her age but I am surprised they “killed” her off!

It was a good flight, very few bumps unlike a previous flight I had experienced. Interesting that there was a power plug by my seat but it needed my American adaptor to work!! We actually arrived in San Francisco 45 minutes ahead of time!! Security was about the same as usual so no majors and only took just over an hour from landing to being out in the airport. I found the United Club and free Wi-Fi so caught up with a few people on FB. The flight for Washington was a bit late leaving but again we arrived early. It was a good flight apart from when the pilot came on and said we should all buckle up tight as there was some bad weather around Washington. He sounded quite serious but apart from one sudden lurch of the plane, it was not too bad, I have experienced much worse!! One surprise though was the fact that we had to be shuttled to the main terminal in, of all things, a unimog shuttle! Still another new experience to add to the list!

The airport is 24 miles from Arlington so had to get a Super Shuttle and, apart from sitting in it for some time before the guys got their act together, it was fine. I eventually arrived at my “Hotel” at about 12.30 am. I say “Hotel” in that way as it is more like a very basic motel, no bottled water, no half and half for the coffee and there was a machine as well as coffee. While cheaper than some it was not that cheap and I have been in better places in New Zealand and the USA for less than that. They advertise free Wi-Fi and the signal was not too bad during the middle of the night but in daytime almost impossible! Never mind, I will survive!!


No comments:

Post a Comment