Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thursday February 27 - back into Ottawa

Today Diane went to work and I ventured into Ottawa alone!! The big news today is that we had snow overnight and it has snowed most of the day. There is a nice covering of fresh snow everywhere!!

I caught the 10.35 bus and that arrived by the market at 11.15. As instructed I rang Diane, with her phone, to let her know I was on the bus. 

Soon after this nice young man came up and asked if he could talk with me. I assented and it turns out he is from Christchurch New Zealand although he now lives over here, his name is Kelvin. 

He lives in Gatineau and was off to the local college for his studies. We had a good chat and he told me it me was the highlight of his day and he would tell his father this evening! 

This reminds me that at the Bio Dome just as we left we met two guys who said "Kia Ora", this is the New Zealand Maori greeting for "Hello". 

It turns out they were both Canadian but one said his wife was over there at the moment and the other has visited, lol cannot go anywhere! I am so glad I am wearing my New Zealand beanie, keeps me warm as well!

The market is full of cafés, restaurants, gift shops as well as other assorted shops both small and large. I had a nice wander round and then headed for the Starbucks near the bus stop for a welcome coffee. 


This guy sat down almost opposite and kept staring at me, don't think I am that odd. He had a McCafe coffee in his hand so a bit of a cheek to be in Starbucks!

As it had stopped snowing and the sun had come out I decided to walk up to Parliament again. I also popped across the road to have a look at the Rideau canal which, at 7.8 km long, is the largest skating rink in the world. I took some more photos with my phone as I did not want to bring my camera out today! It was still quite cold but had a good wander around until the bus came. At one point it was standing room only on the bus so I am pleased I sat in one of the single seats!!


Back home and Diane had warned me about the key and the outer door lock, well I could not unlock it so rang Diane!! I found out which way the key is supposed to turn but it did not happen so rand a doorbell and the lady from the apartment above came out to let me in. Mind you she had a big knife with her, not sure what she was going to do with it, LOL!

Again, it was strange to hear people only speaking French and there was no translation from the French on notices on the bus!! Apparently, it is the law so they obviously don't want people visiting Quebec!!! I have just discovered that there is actually a Language Police to make sure French is used, the owner of a shop has just been told to translate her FB page into French!!!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment