Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday February 15 - Chicago to East Lansing

Well, it was back to blue skies and sunshine today, at least for half the day! I went out for a few supplies from TJs then a final coffee at my favorite Starbucks. If ever I go back to Chicago I have to go back there!

Back to base and made some sandwiches for my dinner, the train does not get in to East Lansing until just before 9 pm if it is on time! As I got my case ready I noticed that Amtrak had managed to smash one of the wheels on it so I was not amused. It will make the rest of my travels a bit tricky. I then checked out and caught a taxi to Union Station.

I managed to get some tape from one of the agents at the station and at least protected the bottom of the suitcase as it is dragging on the ground. I will have to see if I can do a better repair when I get to my next hotel.

There is no WiFi for the plebs at Union Station, only in the first class lounges, grrrr! At least I found a Corner Bakery inside at the Adams Street entrance, I will be able to spend time there while I wait for my train to Cleveland on Wednesday.

The waiting hall was very crowded as there were trains leaving to Texas, California and also the Empire Builder. However, they and other trains were all delayed mostly due to repairs being made. Train 3 was delayed for a different reason, the conductor had not turned up and it was delayed by at least an hour! Hmmmm!! I was chatting to a couple of guys and one was asking me about England and the places to visit there.

The Blue Water was on time and left on time so hopefully we will arrive on time! In the time I had been waiting at the station the weather had closed in and it had clouded over, maybe some snow later? Yay, the train has WiFi!!

Just passed Nuclear Power Station belching out steam at Michigan City on the shores of Lake Michigan. There is a lot of snow out here! Boy this driver has his foot down, no mucking around on this train!! Oh, and the clock has gone forward an hour!!

Rang from the train to order a taxi for 9 pm and, of course, he train arrived early, LoL! Seems quite cold and parking a the station appears to be a nightmare. Anyway, this taxi guy comes up to me and tells me he is to take me but then I get a text from a Steve telling me he is at the station, talk about crossed wires!! So it was out of one taxi and into another. finally arrived at my hotel and it is very nice. It has a small kitchen area and a very large room. I did have to go down and get one of those thingys you put your suitcase on plus there is no coffee making machine! However, I boiled water in one of the pans and made myself a nice cup of tea!!

Sorry, no pics tonight!!

1 comment:

  1. You are a busy gal!!! sounds like you are having a great time! So nice you are getting to meet so many chatters!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete