Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday January 27 - around the Space Needle

Only a short blog today and not many photos!!

After a lazy start I wandered up to the Space Needle. Along the way I found a post office to send some postcards and also update the stamps I had purchased as the price just went up by one cent! The area around the Seattle Centre generally looks very tired and in need of a facelift, this does appear to be happening a wee bit. This area was at one time I imagine obviously the centre of things but I get the feeling that is no longer true. Maybe it is because it is a dull Monday in winter that I get this feeling!

Today was not a day for going up the Space Needle even if I had the desire to, it is very cloudy and I bet there would not be views like those we had from the Columbia Tower! So I wandered on and found the Bill and Melissa Gates foundation but, of course, the visitor centre is closed on a Monday!
 

There was an exhibition by Dale Chihuly of his glass works for a garden but as it was $20 to get in I decided not to go. I did catch a couple of photos form the outside. We saw a lot of his work at the Tacoma Glass Museum.

I then found the McCaw Hall behind the Seattle Centre. This is a food court and made a beeline for the Starbucks for a coffee. What a surprise I had when the woman who served me asked me where in New Zealand I was from, when I told her she replied that she was from Taupo, about an hour and a half drive from Napier. She has been here three years and has totally lost her accent!

I wandered back to the hotel and went down to the Wholefood Store to get a few supplies. I am lucky as it is less than five minutes walk away. I spent the evening working on my arrangements for the weekend and until I travel to Chicago on Thursday February 6. There have been some exciting changes to my itinerary!!

1 comment:

  1. The Seattle Center was originally built for the 1962 Worlds fair, so it is definitely old and in dire need of repair and replacement! Remember the little building in Tacoma at Brown and Haley's (Almond Roca factory) that was one of the ticket booths for the worlds fair held there at the Seattle center!! Did you get a chance to watch the fountain at all? We love watching it when we go!! Glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete