Thursday, January 23, 2014

Monday January 20 - last day in CA

Today was my last day in the warmth of California and with family. After a lazy start and I finished my packing we went out just before lunch to a winery not far away in the hills. A lovely setting surrounded by trees at a place called Pittechis, least I think that was the name! There are a huge number of walking trails and we went of a nice walk before lunch. This is mountain lion country and the final warning is the strangest I think I have ever seen, "If attacked, fight back!". Not sure if I would want to get that close!

We sat down at one of the many picnic tables with a glass of wine, well the adults did, as well as a variety of cheeses and crackers for lunch. It was such a lovely setting for my final lunch. The boys then took one of their games over behind the barns. A hose and airbag that when you step on it fires a plastic rocket up into the sky. So we sat and watched for the rockets to appear over the top of the barn! Some of the other kids joined in and everyone had a good time. Towards the end, Luke was organisng the little kids to have turns! Nice one! Then it was home to a final cup of tea, very English we are, before heading to Mountain View station to catch the Caltrain into San Francisco. Lots of sad goodbyes at the station as the train was ready to leave, but on to the next stage of my journey.

I caught a taxi to Pier 39 and had dinner in the Hard Rock Cafe there as it is opposite where the connecting Amtrak bus stops to take people to Emeryville for the train. I also managed to write my blog and catch up on my Words for Friends games!! So onward to colder, maybe wetter climes after a wonderful stay in California.

Just to prove that change is inevitable, the Bay Bridge was very different from when I crossed it a couple of years ago. The San Francisco side of the bridge is the same with the "double decker" bridge and the outgoing traffic travelling underneath the incoming traffic. However, after Treasure Island, the traffic travels on what seems like twin bridges beside each other and the old "double decker" bridge is to the right of the new bridges! It must have cost a lot of money!

Boarded the train after checking my baggage and made myself at home in my Roomette and hope I get some sleep. I was given a small bottle of champagne to welcome me aboard, nice one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment