Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sunday April 21, Inwood to New York

An earlyish start today with breakfast at the local Waffle House and at last I manged to pay for something!

We travelled back to Frederick and spent an hour or so walking along the River Walk. This was very pleasant and although it was very cool, especially out of the sun, it was easy to imagine a summer's evening or a warm Sunday late morning and how crowded it would be. Then it was time to head off to Baltimore to catch the train to New York. We arrived at the station just beside the airport and I realised straight away that this was not Penn station!! So I put on my best grovelling face and went up to the ticket desk! It appears that the airport station is the stop one before Penn. I told them I was more that happy to pay the difference. The response was, just tell the conductor you made a mistake and did not have time to go to the correct station, in fact we had plenty of time! My faith in humanity is restored, once more! Lol they were so pleasant and the conductor was exactly the same and no extra to pay! Give Amtrak a big thumbs up for this!

So I farewelled my friends and I have thoroughly enjoyed the visit. They looked after me so well and I am very humbled to have met such lovely people.

The train was crowded and was fully booked from some stations up the line. It was a very good trip and we arrived four minutes early! So out of Penn station and into the city of New York. Oh such noise and bustle, and the taxis, cutting each other off left right and centre! So queued for one and it appears I might have had a fairly safe driver. It was not too expensive a trip and finally arrived at the Holiday Inn Express, tired but happy. First impressions of New York - larger than life and such a contrast to the historic and spacious Washington DC. Full of tall buildings that sometimes mean the sky is hard to find! But a lot safer than in the past, it would seem the people of the city have done much work on making it safer. I wandered out to find a coffee and sparkling water and then settled in with some WiFi connectivity.



2 comments: