Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday January 13 - exploring Sacramento by light train

Yet another interesting and busy day! After a leisurely breakfast I decided to catch the light rail from the Sacramento Valley station and see where it took me. I caught a train headed to a place called Sunrise and then saw a place called Historic Folsom further on. I decided to hop off at Sunrise and wait for the next train to Folsom!! I cannot get over how flat the land is around here, not a hill in sight anywhere!! It is also very, very brown again showing the lack of rain!!

The first part of the journey took about 50 minutes and we passed many suburbs, Plazas and Industrial areas along the way. Lo and behold, opposite the station at a place called Zinfandel, I spied a Walmarts and made up my mind to break my homeward journey there. I had to wait about 15 minutes at Sunrise for the Folsom train and a further 12 minutes or so later I arrived at Historic Folsom. It is only a small place but the shops have all been given a face-lift and it is like walking in the 1800s if it were not for the cars!!! 


Any one for Ice Skating?
Old railway carriage
The first thing I saw upon leaving the station was an Ice Skating Rink, open until January 20 but lots of water on the surface!! An old railway carriage was parked up further along,

There were many Antique shops as well as Bric a Brac shops but, sad to see, some shops were closing down. Not sure if this is because it is off the beaten track and does not get many visitors!

Across the road there was an old fashioned Mall with an equally old fashioned Barber's Shop! 

The view up the street was of course marred by a delivery truck!! Towards the top end of the street from the station end, the local hotel has obviously been much spruced up!!
Hotel

I spent a couple of hours wandering round and having lunch before heading back to the station. I duly stopped at Zinfandel and purchased a few foodstuffs as well as some other necessary items including a small insulated bag to carry a few food items from place to place. I also purchased a couple of the freezer bags to help keep the bag cooler!! I arrived back at base about 5pm, tired but happy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment